Jared Deacon is a former international 400m athlete. He has worked for UK Athletics, English Institute of Sport and is currently Lead Academy S&C Coach for Scottish Rugby in Edinburgh. Alongside S&C coaching, Jared has also coached international sprinters and hurdlers as a track coach including European, World and Olympic medallists.
In this episode Jared discusses:
- Growing up as the youngest of 8 kids in South Shields.
- Being coached by his brother.
- Being a late developer in Athletics.
- Qualifying for and competing at the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
- Watching Jonathan Edwards, Michael Johnson and Cathy Freeman competing.
- His transition from athlete to coach.
- His “Shotgun to Rifle” approach.
- Common mistakes and non-negotiables in coaching speed to young athletes.
- The importance of teaching movement skill to developing athletes.
- Why it’s so important to keep the bigger picture in mind coaching youth athletes.
You can keep up to date with Jared via Twitter: @jaredmdeacon .