Jamie Bowie is a former 400m GB and Team Scotland athlete, Jamie was part of the team that won silver at the World Indoor Championships in the 4x400m relay. Now turning his hand to coaching, the former internationalist has worked with athletes at pathway level in both athletics and rugby and now works for Scottish Gymnastics as a Performance Manager for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018 and towards the Birmingham 2022 Games. Continuing, to progress his coaching he currently coaches Double World Champion and Paralympic sprinter Maria Lyle ahead of the postponed Tokyo Paralympic Games.
- Not being a “talented” youngster and how the 400m found him.
- Not getting carried away by physical abilities in adolescence.
- The personal characteristics he looks for in athletes.
- The challenge of selecting athletes for development vs performance at youth level.
- The similarities between the 4x400m relay and Artistic Gymnastics.
- The importance of investing in both coaches and athletes.
- Long term coach-athlete relationships.
As always you can keep up to date with Athletic Evolution via our website, Instagram and Twitter.